Sunday, April 3, 2011

Shift by Jeri Smith-Ready

I was lucky enough to receive an advanced reader's copy of Shift (Shade, Book 2) by Jeri Smith-Ready.  I was thrilled because I absolutely loved Shade (Shade, Book 1), as well as her WVMP series, and I have been anxiously awaiting the release of Shift (Shade, Book 2) since I finished Shade (Shade, Book 1).  If you haven't read Shade (Shade, Book 1), go get it now and read it--it's excellent.

Shift (Shade, Book 2) picks up shortly after Shade (Shade, Book 1).  Aura is still reeling from Logan having gone shade and is desperately trying to bring him back.  She is also trying to deal with her feelings for Zachary, while they work together to uncover the role of Newgrange in the Shift, as well as their place in it.  This second installment, the series will be a trilogy, really focuses on Aura and her feelings.  She is trying to reconcile the loss of her first love, while facing her feelings for Zachary--who may be her destiny.  Aside from the supernatural aspects, the emotional development of Aura is well-written and very true to life.  She is at an age where she is transitioning into a more mature mind-set.  Her priorities are changing and her emotions are maturing.  Her relationships are maturing as well, not just with Zachary but also with her Aunt Gina and her grandmother. Together, Aura and Zachary begin to unravel the mysteries of the Shift, Newgrange and Aura's parents.  They learn about the connection between Zachary's father & Aura's mother and what may have happened to them on that fateful Winter Solstice.

In truth, I started reading Jeri Smith-Ready because she writes about where I am from.  I really enjoy reading about familiar places in my fiction.  However, her books are great, with or without the local connection.  I highly recommend  all of her books, but this series is my favorite of hers.  The concept is original and fascinating.  The relationships are well-developed and, supernatural elements aside, very easy to relate to.  Her WVMP series runs a close second--and if you love vampires, you should get started with Wicked Game.

No comments:

Post a Comment